Is this a fake Tokai bass

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is an Aria that is similar to the Tokai in the OP, but not the exact same outline.

Have you found one that is exactly the same?

Aria Pro II SB-700 1981 Candy Apple Red Finish

View attachment 58540
View attachment 58538
View attachment 58543

Man that looks SO similar! I bet what ever factory made that Aria made this Tolai labeled bass. If I still played, I’d keep this thing. I. Ant believe how balanced it feels, and plays so easy. But I’m a record store/ guitar shop and it will find a new happy home somewhere

Well you have given us another clue in untangling the head-spinning history of Tokai in the early 1980s.

Still not sure what to think about this bass, but it is hard to ignore the fact that it exists.

I think this makes a strong case for Matsumoku as the builder of the guitar in this thread.

It raises questions about OEM production, and Nagano Tokais as well.
Interesting observation, but did these manufacturers really choose carefully as to who made what to protect their own brand?

Well, Tokai made lower end Fernandes and Burny branded guitars in 1978. Somebody made lower end LP and Strats for Tokai in 1980/81/82. Tokai made Fenders for the Japanese market roughly 1992-2009. To this day Tokai has lower cost guitars made in China.

I assume there are QC standards and ultimately it is about providing a range of products to people attracted by brand names. It is not a new business tactic.

Well, Tokai made lower end Fernandes and Burny branded guitars in 1978. Somebody made lower end LP and Strats for Tokai in 1980/81/82. Tokai made Fenders for the Japanese market roughly 1992-2009. To this day Tokai has lower cost guitars made in China.

I assume there are QC standards and ultimately it is about providing a range of products to people attracted by brand names. It is not a new business tactic.
Very true, I have a es78 (335 Chinese made) .
Did Fujigen make any instruments other than for Fender?
Don’t know about you but the finishes on the Japanese instruments wear in ways I’ve not seen from any other instruments. Locally I’ve seen paint flaking off music man basses.

Latest posts

Back