Tokai ES130 UK model still nitro finished?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just bought an ES130 in the UK, but I wouldn't know if it was poly or nitro - all the catalogue information I've seen just says lacquer finish...

Try emailing [email protected]

I bought mine through them and they currently have several ES130s in stock. They normally reply to emails within the same day so I'm sure they'll be able to help you...

:roll: Well even at Richtone they're not sure, in the japanese catalogue it says laquer, but the ones I see on the UK market are far too shiny in a poly way IMHO.
Well it seems like nobody knows for sure..

Cheers,

Dennis.

When I got my ES120 (used) I wanted to know which type of finish was used.

Most web sites described the finish as "nitro" but I had also been told by shop sales staff that the finish on this model was poly.

To settle it, I emailed the contact on the Tokai UK website who said that the finish on my ES120 was polyester.

Brendan

Until '04 catalogue there were ES-100 polyurethane finish and ES-120 laquer finish.Afterwards thre are ES-120 polyurethane finish and ES-130 laquer finish because inflaction.Remember this because an earliest model could have different specs just because dating and inflaction.LS-70 in '02 when I bought my first Love Rock was a venerr flamed top 2 pieces and 2 pieces back but afterwads it was the basic japanese model with 2/3 pieces top and back and a plain top,not the same.
When Tokai says "laquer" it could mean a mix finish.Remember top models say "all nitroceloulose" finish....

8) Thanks for all the input! I will find out when I get it, the smell of a nitro finished guitar cannot be mistaken...

Cheers,

Dennis.

luis said:
Until '04 catalogue there were ES-100 polyurethane finish and ES-120 laquer finish.Afterwards thre are ES-120 polyurethane finish and ES-130 laquer finish because inflaction.
I believe that my ES-120 is a 2002 and I was definitely told that it was a poly finish. Certainly it seems a bit "shinier" than my Les Paul.

luis said:
When Tokai says "laquer" it could mean a mix finish. Remember top models say "all nitroceloulose" finish....
Ahh, so it might be some kind of poly/nitro hybrid. Interesting.

Is the whole nitro/poly/laquer finish such a big deal on a 335 type instruments? I'd have thought that the laminated tops would be more consistent than solid maple caps on the LP models. Also, with the inside of the guitar being unfinished, any "breathabilty" issue isn't the same as with a solid instrument.

I find it hard to believe that the finish type can make any difference to the sound. However, I can imagine that very thick finish (of any type) might deaden a guitar's sound.

The whole poly/nitro thing seems to be a cosmetic issue more than anything. The nitro would probably wear out and look "aged" more quickly, but the poly is easier to look after, won't give you that "sticky neck" problem that some folks get with Gibsons and won't be eaten away if you leave the guitar on a rubber stand!

Nowadays the ES 130/135 features a laqcer finish = the last coat is made from nitro.
LS 380 is the only Tokai model where all 3 coats (and the filler) are use nitro.

There's a simple test to see if you have a nitro finish - apply a VERY small spot of acetone to an unobtrusive place, such as the finish under the pickguard. If it's nitro, the finish will start to dissolve, but poly will be unaffected. Immediately dab the acetone off, don't smear it, then polish the finish back up using T-cut. Using this test, I discovered that my 2001 es100 had a nitro finish...obviously, don't try this unless you'd be completely confident doing so.

Latest posts

Back